Friday, October 17, 2008

Krause - Broadcast Composition


Krause, S.D. "Broadcast Composition: Using Audio Files and Podcasts in an Online Writing Course"; Eastern Michigan University;
http://www.bgsu.edu/cconline/krause1/index.html

I tried a podcast over the summer. Bought a mike, hooked up my Mac, and gave up. I was too stupid for Garageband. Correction. I was too chained to the clock on my cellphone - I couldn't teach myself in the two week span. The result was a visual podcast called, "What does Visual Literacy Sound Like?"

Krause is addressing podcasts (thankfully), and is setting a definition. Nice job. What I link onto, however, is that students need a script before they set out to cast themselves in the pea-pod world of audio technology on the web and this is what intrigues me. The question becomes, "How do we teach our student writers to be better planners for a technological audience?" In other words, what awareness do they need to address audience awareness, but also audio expectations for a podcast."

I am a huge fan of downloading NPR's podcasts because I'd rather run to news and stories than to music. No, I'm not Rocky and there are no eye of the tiger in my step. Even so, I love listening to the stories because I like to think about how a writer must anticipate a reading, but also plan a story that is to be heard. Amazing and exciting if you ask me.

Krause is interested in style and technology. Here, he explores audio with his online classes and finds mixed success to humanize the off campus, distant classroom.

No comments: