Monday, October 27, 2008

Scott McCloud

In 2004, several students approached me and an art teacher at my school and wanted to create a "comix club." Interested in story telling (and art), I obliged and every monday afternoon, several students, the art teacher, and I would meet, doodle, and try to create "framed" ways of knowing. Scott McCloud's insight, advice and brilliant illustrations brought all of us closer to the genre/discourse we were trying to perfect.

Through this work, I became interested in revisiting Art Spiegelman's Maus, David B.'s Epileptic and Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis I & II. What I learned from this work is that being concise in comic strips is a brand of genius the traditional linguist, English teacher and academic does not know enough about. It is the visual literacy that I've grown to love.

No comments: