Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Welcome!

Tonight, I entered a new semester at Syracuse University enrolled in a class taught by Professor Jing Lei entitled, "Educational Media Theory and Research."  There are three students enrolled in the class and each of us are in charge of conducting an independent study on research that interests us in the field of technology.  

My major interests are in the teaching of writing, creating writing communities, encouraging creativity in the classroom and empowering students.  For many years, I've worked as a Critical Friends Coach, in a K - 12 Public School in downtown, Louisville, Kentucky: The J. Graham Brown School.  A past student of mine, Patrick Yen, created a video project to capture the essence of the school: community (which can viewed at this link).

For the last few years, I've followed a few students as they journal their college-experiences and I've had a growing interest in how "blogging" keeps the Brown School community alive.  I've dappled in a few blogs of my own, too, and currently I'm interested in how online, blogging communities can be used as a "critical friends" network.  In particular, I'm curious to how blogging can be used as a tool to support colleagues with their thinking, writing and teaching.

It is the intent of this blog to serve as a vessel for online communication as my classmates and I work our way through educational media theory.  

I welcome you.

1 comment:

Jing Lei said...

Bryan, welcome to this class. I look foward to working with you throughout this semester.