Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Zebra Mussels and Automobiles



I'm a believer in Dewey's belief that experience + reflection = knowledge. That is why I'm curious to experience this "blog world". Many of my graduates keep blogs while off at college and they've invited me to join. So, in 2008, I promised myself I'd spend a year journaling online to see what it is about --- this began before I knew about blogging weekly reflections for this class.

I keep writing journals and each is packed, but sits dusty on bookshelves with no audience. The "community" space of blogs intrigues me because it is a public. I think Chris's idea of "self aggrandizing" is true, and posting online has a bit of hubris to it. Yet, I'm recognizing early on -- who actually visits and reads these posts? One of my previous students, now a senior a Purdue, has blogged his entire college experience. I've keep up with it and am shocked by how detailed his postings are and how personal. I've wondered often, "is it decent to post such intimate material?"

Either way, this week I wanted to teach myself if it was possible to upload a video reflection for the reading. I don't know if I like that as a forum, but I'm giving it a try so I have a new experience to reflect on.

BrY

No comments: